Thursday, July 25, 2013

Reflections on Lesson 8


At the school where I teach, it is a requirement for all teachers to maintain a blog on a weekly basis.  Unlike the thoughtful, response-oriented blog we completed for this class, my teacher blog is a place to post information such as assignments, lesson plans, activities, or special school events.  Last year as the Computer/Library teacher, I also attached to my blog copies of my PowerPoints, lesson plans, handouts, and anything else that made it easy for a student to catch up after missing a class.  In fact, some of my students were able to complete assignments they had missed before they even returned to school.

My teacher blog was also a great place to communicate with parents.  Unlike newsletters or flyers sent home with students that found their way to crumpled heaps at the bottoms of backpacks, the blog could be checked anytime by interested parents and did not depend on the inconsistent reliability of student messengers.  Parents could also, at the click of a button, send me an email after reviewing my updates, allowing me instant communication with parents and the ability to alleviate concerns, answer questions, or provide feedback.

This year, I would like to make it a requirement for my Jr. High computer students to check my blog on a regular basis.  A completion grade can be given when a student leaves a brief comment, ensuring that students, as well as their parents, are up to date on what is required of them in class that week.  This could help alleviate the common, “I didn’t know that was due!” or “I didn’t know what I was supposed to do!”  The blog can be a great tool for helping students stay on task, or at least eliminate the excuses for those who choose not to.   

With the electronic nature of our culture, I believe that many schools are slowly moving to online methods of parent-teacher communications.  Large amounts of time and expense are saved every week by not copying thousands of fliers to go home.  Emails and blogs can be more personal and include pictures, stories, and successful moments of the school day, something I thoroughly enjoy.  But most importantly, online communication resources such as blogs, websites, and emails have the added benefit of being instantly updated, correcting misinformation at the time it is discovered.  In an age where instant information is king, a blog can make a teacher feel like royalty.

1 comment:

  1. Heather what a wonderful use of a student/ parent focused blog. Nice!

    ReplyDelete