Monday, July 15, 2013

Reflections on Lesson 5


Because a large part of my job description involves teaching children in grades K-6 about the library, I have a unique opportunity to impart my love of book and of reading everyday with students.  What I have learned over the past year or so is the importance of finding the right book for the right student.  When a child finds that book that “speaks” to him and ignites his imagination, whether it is Green Eggs and Ham, Harry Potter, or a real-life book on reptiles, that child will want to read and will subconsciously be unlocking reading proficiency skills that will help him in all other academic areas of his life.

One of the activities I love to do with my younger students is reading books aloud to them.  Unfortunately, as enrollment has increased and time has become more limited, much of the reading time has been reallocated to my library aide, but I try to hold on to as much of the read aloud time as I can.  Listening to the students’ reactions to a particularly funny part or discussing their predictions to what they think the next page will bring is fun and exciting.  All children should have an opportunity to read and/or be read to daily.

While I have never attempted this before, I think I may allow my older students a chance to select and read a short book aloud to their peers this year.  This may not only increase their reading skills, but also their language development as they analyze the author’s inflections and purpose and attempt to match their own voice to that of the author.  What a great opportunity this might give to brave and willing students to develop another layer of reading and language proficiency.   I look forward to incorporating this activity into my curriculum and watching as others share their love of a good book.

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful idea Heather. I know your students will love the peer read aloud. You might let them choose the book prior to class so they can practice with friends or family.

    ReplyDelete