Monday, June 17, 2013

Reflections on Lesson 2


As someone who has always been fascinated with the impact of external environmental considerations on performance, this lesson was fascinating to me.  I especially enjoyed the section on the importance of nutrition on learning. 

Several years ago I was asked to teach an ESL class that consisted of 14 students from grades 1-6, all at varying levels of English proficiency.  The one common trend I saw was the improved performance of those students who ate a healthy breakfast versus those who did not.  By 9am, the students who had not eaten breakfast were noticeably lethargic and unfocused, while those who had enjoyed a nutritious meal were able to continue learning and progressing.  I began requiring my students to bring a nutritious snack and a water bottle to school each day (and even providing one for those who were unable), and after a short 9am break, all of my students were ready to focus and learn again.  As a student myself, I find that I am able to focus better and learn more when I have eaten healthier and am well-hydrated.

Lesson 2 inspired me to consider my classroom environment as an extension of my teaching.  From increasing natural lighting and visual cues to incorporating plants in my décor to focusing on delivering lessons to my students’ dominant hearing side, I can give my students tools for success without them changing a single habit.  I find that very empowering as a teacher, and as a student, I plan to incorporate these same techniques in my learning environment, as well!

1 comment:

  1. You have found many ways to incorporate textual information into your teaching and personal life. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete